Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Wednesday 28th September
The aim of this lecture was to familiarise ourselves with our poems. 
To start the session, we did a short warm up including some vocal exercises. The first exercise was to make sure that the muscles in our face were fully warmed up. We stretched our lips out and our cheeks back and said an ‘ee’ sound and then pushed our lips out and together making an ‘oo’ sound. We kept repeating this gradually getting faster each time. I found this exercise quite difficult once we started to pick up speed but as we practice this more often, it should become easier. 
After the warmup, we looked at our poems which we had selected in the previous lecture on Monday. Our lecturer, Cara recorded our first attempt of sight reading our poems. Here is a link to my first attempt of sight reading:
Once I had finished reading my poem, our lecturer gave us some feedback. The first piece of feedback which she gave me was that my reading was stilted. However, for people with a visual impairment like myself, sight reading is difficult as we can read no more than 2 words at a time which causes the reading to be stilted. The main piece of feedback that I was given was a target to try and start learning the poem as soon as possible. When I was reading the poem from the sheet, my words were unclear as there was no projection due to the paper being in front of the paper and my shoulders were hunched. However, once I learn the poem, these two issues should not be a problem. Another piece of feedback was that the diction in some places was quite poor. This is an area in which I will need to improve on. Another piece of advice was that I need to be careful when reading the lines and to make sure that if a sentence carries onto the next line, it should still flow. The last piece of advice that I was given was that throughout the poem, I tended to stay within the same tonal range. This meant that I did not put much expression into the reading of the poem. Over time I will develop all of these so that it makes the poem sound more exciting. 
To finish off the session we set ourselves a target for the next session. My target was to learn the first 4 lines of my poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment