Sunday 25 June 2017

Unit 6 - Performance workshop

Saturday 10th June
Today we had planned to have an extra rehearsal outside of our normal sessions because we still have a lot to do before the performance. Also, all of the group had to focus on the dance performance which we performed on Thursday. Now that we have finished that, we can focus on this performance.
In our normal session on Tuesday, Alys said that we all need to know our lines by this rehearsal otherwise there will not be enough time to develop the material and work on characterisation. I have been really busy this week with exams and rehearsals for the dance show but still had to make time to look at my script for the UCAN show otherwise I would not know my lines. I walked into the rehearsal knowing my lines but I didn’t feel very confident with them. The aim of the rehearsal today was to become more confident with the script.
To start the rehearsal we marked out the lift with some masking tape. In the rehearsal on Tuesday, we will be marking out the whole of the grid and the lift. Each character is going to have a different coloured tape which will have a pathway. At the end of each pathway, it will lead into the lift.
We then had a full run-through of the show. There were some scenes which hadn’t been as developed as others so we stopped at these points to work on them a bit more. There were also other scenes which we had worked on a lot and we didn’t need to work on. It also made it a lot easier to practice the scenes if the characters involved in the scene knew all of their lines. For example, ‘At the doctors’ was easy to rehearse because we had worked on this scene in the previous session and both me and Danielle knew all of our lines. This meant that more time could be spent on other areas which haven’t been developed as much. Areas that we worked on were the lift scenes and the ‘At the pet shop’ scene. We needed to work on the lift scenes because now that we are all quite familiar with the lines, we can work on making the scene as realistic as possible.
After the full run-through of the show, we went for a mark through of the show. This meant that we marked out where each scene was going to take place. We said the first line and the last line of the scene and then carried on to the next scene. The main aim of this was to see if we could remember the order of the scenes. This has been proving difficult because not all of the scenes link together so it doesn’t give us an obvious cue as to which scene will come next. This also allowed us to see who was going to be able to move each prop in each scene change.
To end the rehearsal, we had a line rehearsal. This consisted of us all just sitting on our boxes at the back of the stage and reciting our lines. This gave us a chance to rehearse our lines with the group. I find this method of rehearsal very useful as I find it very difficult to rehearse my lines on my own as I do not have the other people to say their lines which then cues me to say my line. There is one line in the script which I am struggling with at the moment but hopefully as I practice it more I will be able to remember for the performance.
I left the rehearsal today feeling more confident about lines and I have now had a chance to work on characterisation. However, there are some people in the group who are not confident with their lines yet. We will meet up as a group over the next few days to practice the lines in our own time to make sure that we are all confident with the script in time for the performance on Thursday the 15th of June at 7:30pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment