Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Thursday 16th March
Today we went to the Hereford College of Arts to watch a small theatre company perform their show. The show was called ‘As the Crow Flies’ and it was performed by Pentabus Theatre Company. The play was about a crow stealing different items from the main character, Beth’s garden. However, the crow was hurt and Beth helped the crow to heal its wing so that it could fly again. There were only 3 characters in the play which were the crow, Beth and young Beth. Young Beth and Beth spoke to each other throughout the play at different points which made the play quite interesting. Before the show started, we had a touch tour with the actors so we could see up close and feel pieces of the set. This really helped us because we were able to see where different props were and we were able to hear the actors talking before the show so that we knew which character was speaking.
Overall, I really enjoyed the show. I wasn’t particularly interested in going to this show because this wouldn’t be a piece of drama that I would normally go and see but, I really enjoyed it so I am glad that I went to see it. All of the actors in the show were very strong as they had very good projection and clarity. They all suited their characters very well.
Once we got back to college after we had seen the performance, we went to the performance studio so that we could practice the songs that we will be singing for the singing performance in a few weeks times. We ran the songs in the order of which they will be performed in the show. ‘Groove is the heart’ and ‘We are family’ are the last 2 songs in the performance. Once we had practiced through the songs, Cara gave us some feedback. The feedback which she gave me was that I still need to be singing louder and clearer so that everyone will be able to hear me. At the moment I still feel very shy when I am singing in front of people, especially on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment