Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Main aspect within performing arts: dance
Before I moved away from home to come to college I used to attend regular dance classes each week to improve my dance skills. These dance classes would take place at both my school and a local dance school. At school, I took part in a weekly contemporary dance class and at a local dance school I attended classes on a Saturday in ballet, tap, jazz, freestyle and cheerleading. I was able to achieve several grades in these subjects by working towards a dance exam which would take place every few months.
When I moved to college in September 2016, I was eager to keep up my dance skills and to improve these but I had to look for a dance school that suited me in terms of ability. It took me a while to find a dance school that offered the subjects that I was interested in and had achieved grades in already. Most of the dance schools around the local area offered classes that I wasn’t interested in or classes in the subjects that I was interested in but not for my ability. Eventually I did find a dance school that offered ballet, tap and jazz. After attending one ballet class with this dance school I made the decision to not attend again as the other pupils in the class were a lot younger than me. I also felt like the class and the steps in the class did not stretch me enough, therefore I started to look elsewhere for lessons. I sent a few emails out to local dance schools who I thought would be suitable for me. After a few responses I gathered all of the information I needed and spoke to my dance teacher within college who teaches us dance improvisation within the performing arts course and she recommended a dance school to me. The following week I attended a grade 5 ballet class on a Monday night. I felt like I fitted in well to the class and the steps and combinations that they were teaching stretched me. I still continue going to this dance class on a Monday night to improve my dance skills within ballet. However, I am also looking to start classes in jazz and tap sometime soon.
I have also been able to find a contemporary dance class which is suitable for me. This class takes place on a Thursday night in the performance studio here at college. My dance teacher within college, Laura told me about this dance class as it is part of her own dance school. She thought that I would fit in very well to the class because it was for people who were similar age to me and similar ability. After the first dance class I really enjoyed it and decided to start regularly attending these classes.
Another class that I have been able to find and attend is a street/jazz class on a Wednesday night. I have never done street dance before but I went along to the lesson to see if I liked it or not. I found the class quite difficult and it took me a while to pick up the choreography but I did enjoy it. I will now be attending this class regularly. Street dance is a new skill for me and I will hopefully be able to develop this throughout the upcoming months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment