Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Monday 14th November
We carried out a short warmup to start off the lesson by doing some gentle head rolls and stretches.
For this lecture we were looking at developing our poems. I discussed with my lecturer about the different parts to the poem and where the tone of my voice should change. The poem starts off with 2 statements as the first 2 lines. Then it moves onto imagining. This is when there needs to be a change in my voice which will captivate the audience and draw them in more. When I reach the word “Sometimes…” the tone will again change and so will the speed. For this section of the poem, I need to be very careful with my diction as it is not always clear. When it gets to the list, I need to think of a way to keep the audience drawn in and to engage them and give them a sense of urgency. Towards the end of the poem, the speed should slow down again as it has a calm ending.
Once we had been through and pinpointed the main points of focus in the poem, I had a go at reciting my poem with a bit of expression and slowing down the speed. I am learning about the effectiveness of different devices when trying to express my poem. Pause, pace and intonation will all help to dramatise my rendition. I am really starting to understand how flexible my voice can be when responding to a text. Here is a link to a video of me trying out different tones and speeds:

No comments:

Post a Comment