Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 25 - Dance improvisation

Monday 5th June
Today, everyone bought in their costumes or any clothes that they thought would work for the dance show. I brought in several different things because I am in different dances and I need to wear different outfits for the different dances. We then put some of the costumes over what we were already wearing so we could start to get into character a bit more.
We then had a run through of the show. We have already done a few runs before so we were now starting to remember what came after what in the show. This also gave me a chance to see if I could change my shoes in time in between dances and then still have some spare time to change my outfit when it comes to the actual show.
Something else that we worked on today was the transition from 'Boot scootin' boogie' into 'Footloose'. After 'Boot scootin' boogie', the three daughters which are me, Angel and Emily head over to the bar. At this point we carry out improvised movement. We did not choreograph this as we wanted it to look as realistic as possible whilst Danielle is talking to the audience. When Callum then enters the stage, my reaction to when he starts dancing is going to be improvised. This is when he gets me up to dance which then goes into the choreographed dance. We also came to the conclusion that we would each individually improvise a pose at the end of this routine. We came to this conclusion after we had tried some ending group poses but these did not work well. When we tried improvising our own poses, this worked a lot better. 
Today was also the day where I was given my prop. The prop that i will be using is a suitcase and I will be using it in my solo. The suitcase had been especially made for me by the art department. I was not sure how small or how heavy the suitcase would be. I had done some preparation by practicing with big bags which were quite heavy. The first time that I practiced through the routine with the prop, I improvised picking the suitcase up and putting it down. This worked really well so I blended this improvisation into choreography as I remembered what I did and then did this again for the next rehearsal. 
I think that this was a successful rehearsal as we managed to have a good run through of the show. We did have some stops and starts but we managed to block the dances and recap over the dance that we learnt just before half term. We also came to a decission about what poses we are going to do at the end of 'Footloose' because before today we didn't really have anything that looked natural. The show is now really coming together and I am excited to perform this to a live audience on Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment