Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 25 - Dance improvisation

Wednesday 8th March
Today I was beginning to learn the choreography for the duet which Callum and I will perform in the dance showcase at the end of the year.
To start the lesson we carried out a physical warmup.
Before we started to learn the choreography, Laura introduced us to some lifts. Although I have had quite a lot of dance experience, I have never been lifted before. This is a new skill that I am going to be developing over the next few months. Laura showed us 2 lifts. The first one that she showed us was the easiest one and this is where I run up to Callum and as I jump, I curl around the side of Callum. We tried this a few times because it took me quite a long time to finally do it right. Laura then showed us the second lift but I wasn’t confident enough with doing that one so we just stuck with the first one for now.
Once we had had some practice with the lifts, we moved on to learning the start of the choreography. It didn’t take me much time to pick up the choreography because I am used to learning routines quickly. However, I am currently putting no emotion into the dance. Showing emotion is my main target because at the moment I can perform the moves well, but I struggle to show emotion. Because I have only just learnt the moves, I am finding it quite difficult to put emotion into the dance because I am mostly concentrating on remembering the choreography. In the next few weeks, as I become more familiar with the moves, it will be easier for me to put emotion into the dance.
Something else that I am struggling with at the moment is the beginning move. At the start of the music I perform a move which creates he effect of breathing. At the moment I am unable to imagine this but as we learn more choreography and I have more practice, this should become easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment