Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Thursday 23rd March
Today was the last lesson where we were able to have a full run through of the show before the singing performance on Monday. To ensure that we weren’t going to be unfamiliar with the performance space on Monday, we used this session to practice in ‘the Chapel’ which is where we will be performing on Monday. Practicing in this space also gives us an opportunity to listen to how the acoustics are a lot better in this room than the performance studio where we normally practice. We set the chairs up as they would be set up for the show. We also timed the show so that we could have a rough estimate of how long the show was going to run for.
We ran through the songs in the order of the show. I am only singing in the last 2 songs in the performance which are ‘Groove is in the heart’ and ‘We are family’. When we got to singing ‘Groove is the heart’, I wasn’t very nervous and sang quite loudly because I was singing with the others in the group. However, when it came to my solo bit in ‘We are family’ I went very shy and didn’t sing very loudly. The feedback that I was given at the end of the session was that I need to sing a lot louder at the singing performance on Monday otherwise the audience aren’t going to be able to hear my voice. Before we finished the lecture, we thought of a new ending for ‘We are family’. Once we had sung through the chorus once, Cara who is playing the piano, is going to drop out and we are going to sing acapella whilst clapping in time which will hopefully get the audience clapping too. Then, Cara will join back in for one last chorus.
I am quite nervous for the singing performance as I haven’t sung by myself in front of a live audience before. This singing performance will build up my confidence because although I only have a small singing solo, this will build up my confidence for singing in front of a live audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment