Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

Wednesday 7th December
The aim of todays lesson was to look at characterisation within improvisation.
The main task that we carried out was an improvised scene which included 2 characters which were in contrast with each other. For the first task I played the character of a cowboy and my lecturer played the character of a nurse. As I had not watched many films or seen anything which included cowboys, I found this character quite hard to play. Halfway through the scene we switched roles so that I was now playing the nurse and Cara was playing the cowboy. I preferred playing the nurse as it was more in my comfort zone and the role was clearer to me. Although I didn’t really know how to portray a cowboy, I used my improvisation skills and tried my best to try and make the character clear. This task will help me in the future when it comes to improvisation on a larger scale which may or may not include characterisation.
We then carried out another improvisation task which included 2 contrasting characters. This time I was playing a ballet dancer and Cara was playing a shop assistant. I felt like this task went better as the character that I was playing was more in my comfort zone. A target that I could aim for is to try and play more characters that are not like myself. This will improve my skills as an actor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment