Monday 12 June 2017

Unit 1 - Skills development in performing arts

New skills that I have learnt so far this year
Recording in the studio:
A few weeks ago we starting learning the lyrics to and rehearsing a song called ‘Seasons of Love’ from the musical RENT. Once we had rehearsed the song enough and it was perfect, we then recorded it in the studio in college. I felt very nervous because I hadn’t had much experience singing before in front of an audience. Also, signing is my weakest aspect within performing arts so I am looking to develop this throughout the course. Recording in the studio gave me a taster to what it may be like if I went on to pursue a career in performing arts as I may have to sing or record in a studio. Singing in the recording studio meant that I developed a new skill because singing in a studio is a lot different to a singing performance in front of a live audience. The backing track was played through the headphones and I sang into the microphone. When I was in the recording booth, I was able to hear the people in the recording studio who were giving me instructions. I learnt a lot about how the recordings work and now I have an idea of what it is like to record in a studio. 
Ensemble performance:
Within college on the 20th of November 2016, I took part in a nationwide Tapathon. The event was for anyone aged between 5 and 95 years old. It was a world record attempt for the most people tap dancing at the same time. All of the proceeds from the event went to Children in Need. During the event I was developing a new skill of ensemble performance. Although in the past I have done several performances with a group of people, I have never taken part in something on a big scale. As working as part of an ensemble performance I learnt that everyone must be as respectful as possible so that everyone has the same chance to learn the routine. As part of the event I also built up my confidence because I performed this in front of many people. Also, the event was recorded and put on social media so that more people can watch the event. I can then apply these skills to my performing arts course as I will need to be respectful when listening to others ideas and I will need confidence when it comes to the performances.
Alexander technique:
In our dance lessons on a Wednesday morning, we have been looking at alexander technique. I have never done this before and was very excited to learn a new skill within dance. At the end of the 3 sessions, I had learnt a lot about how important posture is during dance and daily activities. It also gave me a greater understanding of the body and how to relax the body. I can now use this information within my performing arts lessons as it will help my delivery of my performance. 
Performing a duologue
This year I have been working towards performing a duologue. The piece is called 'Split down the middle' and it is about 2 girls on a works outing. I have not learnt or performed a duologue before. I learnt from doing the duologue that it can be quite difficult to work with only one othger person because if that person is not available to practice or doesn't know their lines very well, this can effect my performance. This is due to the correct cue lines not being present. Learning and rehearsing the duologue also taught me about performing comedy. This is something that I have never done before because I have only performed in realistic performances. I think that I managed to perform this comedy piece well because when we were performing, the audience did laugh in a few places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment