Sunday 28 January 2018

Unit 64 - Singing techniques in performance

Monday 22nd January
Today I was working on my songs ready for the singing performance.
To start the session, I carried out a full vocal warmup which included warming up all the muscles in the body with some stretches and shakes, the intercostal diaphragmatic breathing exercise, abdominal press, long note on ‘ha’, scales, harmonic minors and arpeggios. When carrying out the abdominal press exercise, my lecturer commented on how well I am carrying out this exercise and how much I have improved since I have learnt the exercise. I used to really struggle with this exercise but the more I have practiced it, the better I have become at it.
For the main part of the lesson I was practicing through both of my solo pieces. I am now pretty secure with the lyrics for ‘Mr Blue Sky’ so we were just working on adding a small bit into the song which we had forgotten about. Also, at the end of the song there is a high choral piece which I am trying out. After trying it out a few times, I came to the conclusion that I was unable to hit the highest note. Therefore, I am just staying silent on this part and then joining in with the next stage of this piece of music. When we tried this all the way through, it sounded good and worked really well so we decided to keep it in. We then moved on to ‘In The Summertime’. I am still in the process of learning the lyrics for this song because I have written my own. I will continue to work on these lyrics especially in the verses later on in the song because there are some verses with some tricky lines.

For the last part of the lesson we had a quick look at ‘The Sweet Escape’ which will be the group song. We haven’t really practiced this yet so we just had a quick look at the words today. My homework is to listen to this song and start to learn the lyrics so that we can start to work on it sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment