Monday 15 January 2018

Unit 23 - Developing voice for the actor

Post performance reflection
Having now learnt and performed 2 contrasting pieces, I realise how important it is to make good choices at the beginning of the process. I feel the pieces that I selected served as excellent vehicles to demonstrate the application for voice production techniques.
The poem ‘Bees’ by Carol Ann Duffy uses alliteration in a very dynamic way and through focusing on those ‘b’ consonants it helped me to engage with the character of the poem and bring it alive. As it was a spoken word piece, I couldn’t really use any physical expression so it was all about ensuring that my vocal expression was varied and clear. My monologue provided an excellent contrast to the poem as it involved a dialect which I had never attempted before. To make this sound as authentic as possible, I initially used my listening skills, trying to pick out the defining features of the Lancashire accent. I have a good friend from Preston who I chatted to a lot and I checked out dialect videos on YouTube. I listened to the vowel sounds in particular as that’s where the heart of the dialect is found. Another defining feature was dropping ‘h’s at the beginnings of words i.e. ‘appen. Also, ‘to the’ is often shortened to ‘t’. I found the whole process of researching a dialect fascinating and challenging as well as I didn’t just want to produce something sounded unbelievable. I was very happy with my end performance of this piece and I think I did produce a believable accent.

Throughout the course of this unit, I have learnt a series of voice production exercises including diction and breathing techniques. Overall, my diction in performance has improved, I recently looked back on my starting points for diction and realised how far I have come. I am now able to carry out intercostal diaphragmatic breathing and understand its application in performance. I have also used this breathing technique outside of the performance space, I have found it useful in situations such as interviews or if I have been feeling stressed or anxious. I think all the skills I have learnt in this unit will be useful throughout my life, whether it be a PowerPoint presentation, a performance, or in preparing for an interview or event where I might be nervous. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice summing up of the work you have carried out for this unit. I'm glad to see you have been able to apply the breathing technique in situations other than a staged performance.

    ReplyDelete