Thursday 1 March 2018

Unit 64 - Singing techniques in performance

Monday 5th January
To start with, we carried out some exercises to make sure that the diaphragm was connected to my throat. We did this by carrying out the diaphragm kicks exercise. I have done this exercise before but I really struggled with it last time. When carrying it out this time, I found it slightly easier, but I still struggled. This exercise will especially help me during the song ‘Mr Blue Sky’ because in the line ‘You’ve had to hide away for so long’, I need a bit more power during this line and this exercise will especially help with the harsh ‘h’ sound and making sure that my diaphragm is engaged. Due to rehearsing this exercise and exercises which are similar, I am starting to notice the benefits of these exercises in my voice production. The intercostal diaphragmatic breathing exercise which I carry out every week was enabled me to strengthen my lung and rib swinging leading to me improving my projection, ability to hold long notes and the overall control during singing. Also, by carrying out scales and arpeggios regularly it has allowed me to improve my vocal range. Upon starting this unit, my singing range was in the mezzo soprano area. However, due to the regular practice, I am now able to hit the top F note in the riff of 'The Sweet Escape'. The technical exercise that I have carried out on a regular basis has allowed me to gain more control over my singing and has helped me to develop and maintain my voice during rehearsals. Lastly, whilst carrying out these this regular practice routine, I have been maintaining a healthy diet by trying to avoid fizzy drinks and milk because these clog up the vocal cords and will make it harder for me to maintain my voice and to rehearse/perform to the best of my ability. Bringing water to each rehearsal allowed me to keep my vocal cords lubricated. 
For the rest of the session we were running through the songs which I will be performing for the singing performance.
We started by practicing through ‘Mr Blue Sky’ because this led on from the diaphragm kicks exercise. I started by applying this exercise to the song which really gave it a new dynamic. I also worked on my projection by standing at the other side of the room and singing to Cara who playing the melody on the piano. This really helped my projection because when I am stood next to the piano, I feel like I do not need to project as much but when I stand on the other side of the room, I project more because I need the sound to hit Cara at the other side of the room.
The next song that I worked on was ‘In the summertime’. I am now very secure with the lyrics for this song apart from one of the verses. I need to work in my own time to learn the lyrics for the last verse. Also, something else that I need to improve on is my diction throughout the song. A lot of the lines in the song end with a ‘d’ sound but they are currently coming across at a ‘t’ sound. Therefore I need to make sure that when I am singing this song, that I apply my diction techniques to the lyrics.
The last song that we worked on was ‘The sweet escape’. I am now secure with the lyrics for the fast part of this song because I have been practicing it every session and even in my spare time. I now need to work with Molly and Kellyann to work on the harmonies for this song.
The reason why I have picked to sing ‘Mr Blue Sky’ and ‘In the summertime’ is because they is a great contrast between them. In ‘My Blue Sky’, the diction isn’t very clear because this fits with the style of the song as it is sort of an American style although it is sang by an English singer. This therefore contrasts with ‘In the summertime’ because the diction in this song is very clear and precise. Therefore I need to make sure, when practicing this song, that all of the words are very clear especially the ‘d’ sounds at the end of some of the lines. 

1 comment:

  1. Your mature approach to the development of performance materials ensures you always respond positively to constructive criticism. It is pleasing to observe your vocal performance improving as you apply learned techniques.

    ReplyDelete