Thursday 1 March 2018

Unit 64 - Singing techniques in performance

Thursday 8th February
We started the session with a full vocal warmup and then we moved on to practicing the songs for the singing performance.
I firstly practiced ‘Mr Blue Sky’. I worked on a few things today to help to improve my rendition of this song. Firstly, I worked on the power of some of the lines. If some of the lines in the song have more power than others, this will add some dynamic to the song and will make it sound less flat. This will especially be important during the chorus of the song. Another aspect that I worked on was the harmonies. There a few places in the song where I will be accompanied by Molly and Kellyann who will sing some harmonies. Cara and I tried out some more harmonies today in different places. We then decided which ones sounded the best and would then go on to teach Molly and Kellyann. We decided to keep the first 2 verses free of harmonies because I thought this might be a good way to start the song and then bring in the harmonies a bit later. The last aspect that we worked on for ‘Mr Blue Sky’ was the crescendo. This is in the 3rd verse on the line ‘Welcome to the human race’. This crescendo also adds dynamic to the piece and makes the piece a bit more exciting.
The next song that I worked on was ‘In the summertime’. I mainly worked on the instrumental part of this song because we have had the idea that I will perform a small dance in this part of the song. Therefore, I spent some time coming up with some choreography for this section of music. I had to make sure that the style of dance was in the same style as the song and I have therefore chosen to do a Charleston dance. I will be wearing character shoes for the show because these also fit in with the theme of this song. I will start practicing in these shoes from now on.
As you can see from the types of movements that I am carrying out in these songs, they are 2 very contrasting pieces. ‘Mr Blue Sky’ is a very static piece with no movement whereas ‘In the summertime’ is a very lively piece with lots of movement.
The last song that I worked on was ‘The sweet escape’. The main focus for this song was working out where I am going to breathe before the fast verses. I was struggling to sing the fast verses in the song because I was running out of breath. This is because I wasn’t sure where to take a breath before this part. However, I spoke to my lecturer, Cara and she advised me on where she thought I should take a breath and once I practiced using her advice, I didn’t have a problem with running out of air.
After having a discussion with my lecturer, we have come to the decision that we would like to perform another group song. We have decided on the song ‘The lion sleeps tonight’ because I think that there is potential for some really good harmonies which all the group will be able to participate in and it also fits in with the theme of the performance. We will start working on this after half term.

Towards the end of the session, we went downstairs into one of the computer rooms to look for some potential costumes which I could wear for the performance. We have been looking for a straight down dress which fits in with the theme of escapism. We didn’t manage to find anything but we are still looking and hopefully we will find something before the show.

1 comment:

  1. Your approach to preparation for the singing performance is an holistic one. Not only are you thinking about the material itself but also presentation, using dance and movement, costume.

    ReplyDelete