Saturday 10 March 2018

Unit 26 - Choreographing dance

Wednesday 7th March
To start the session, we carried out a warmup as we were going to be going over the dances today.
To start with, I went through my dance ‘Beautiful Trauma’. I haven’t done this dance for a while and I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to remember it but I managed to remember all of the choreography. After I had run through it, Laura gave me some feedback. She said that the dance is looking really good and she would be happy to put it on stage if I had to perform it tomorrow. She said that there were a few moves which I performed beautifully and some other moves which needed tweaking a little. This is because in some places it just looks like I am going from one place to the other and it isn’t flowing as much as it should. I need to mindful of these comments and make sure that I remember this for the next time that I perform it.
We then moved on to going over Molly’s routine. We had one run through which enabled us to remember the choreography and then another run through which was performed to Laura. The feedback which we received from Laura was that the routine was looking good and she thought that we had done really well last week to choreograph this piece. She thinks that a little bit should be added on the end to finish off the piece. We will work to choreograph the end of this in the next couple of weeks.
In the second half of the session, I had a discussion with Laura about the choreography for the next routine which I will be learning. She wants to introduce a new style called hiplet. This is a dance style which fuses together hip hop and ballet. As I didn’t know anything about this style of dance, after the lesson I carried out some research into this dance style. Here is what I found:

Hiplet is a fusion of hip hop and ballet and originated in Chicago at Chicago Multi Cultural Dance Centre. It was created by Homer Hans Bryant in 2008 but started becoming popular on the internet in 2016. Currently, Chicago Multi Cultural Dance Centre is the only dance centre in the world to offer hiplet classes. Here is a video to explain more about this new dance style:
The new dance style combines the technique that is required for ballet with funky moves from hip hop. The dance style is normally performed en pointe but can also be performed in soft ballet shoes. Here is a video of a performance of hiplet:

As you can see from the information above, I have taken some time to research hiplet and I have also watched some videos of hiplet being performed. I now have an idea of dance moves which are involved in this dance style and therefore am ready to start helping to choreograph a routine next week. The routine that will feature hiplet in my end of year show is the part at which Maleficent fights for her wings back. This will be to the song ‘Rise’ by Katy Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment