Sunday 5 November 2017

Unit 26 - Choreographing dance

Wednesday 18th October
In todays session we were going over the choreography which I had made myself and that I taught to the children last week at the primary school.
To start off the lesson, we carried out a warmup so that we weren’t going to injure any muscles. The warmup included leg stretches, spiral turns and side stretches all of which we normally carry out within a dance warmup.
For the rest of the lesson we were going over the choreography. To start with I did the dance facing the mirror just to have a quick run-through before I showed Laura and we worked together to correct it. Once I had danced it through with Laura watching, she gave me some corrections. There are some parts within the dance that don’t quite fit with the style of the rest of the dance. For example, when I was doing the contemporary scoops backwards, I was just moving my arms like I was running. However, this does not fit with the rest of the dance so we changed this move so that now the arms are crossed over and I roll the same shoulder backwards as the leg that I am scooping backwards. Another part in the choreography that we changed was in the second half when I lifted my left leg up and then lunged out to the side. I then slid my right leg in to face stage right. However, this didn’t really fit with the style of the dance either so we changed it slightly so that the move is now more fluid. The move is now just a drag lunge to the left which finishes facing stage right. The last move that we changed was a move when I am facing the back. I reach up with both hands and then drop down to the floor. Originally, I was lifting both hands at the same time but now I lift one arm after the other. Also, as I’m lifting my arms, I do a little spring onto the opposite foot.

This week I will not be teaching in the primary school because we travel home on the Friday. However, we have picked the girl that I will be dancing with in the show. Her name is Eve and she was one of the girls who was in the older group last week when I taught at the primary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment