Saturday 7 April 2018

Unit 26 - Choreographing dance

Saturday 17th March
Today was the second week that I was teaching the junior contemporary dance class. 
I started the class with a warmup which involved a pulse raiser, stretches standing up and stretches sitting on the floor.  I added some small moves into the warmup so that the class can get used to them before I put them in there routine. The warmup was then followed by some technique - travelling from the corner which involved leaps, chasses and turns. Technique is very important in any dance class and I think that it is very important to spend some time on technique whenever you can especially when the class is new and the children are getting used to the style of dance. The reason why I chose to do these moves today in this class is because they will be in the routine so it gives the children a chance to learn and get used to the steps before it is put into a routine. 
We then went through the choreography that I taught the class last week. The dance that I have choreographed for the class is to the song 'I Lived' by OneRepublic. The routine is a contemporary style dance which starts off quite slow at the beginning but then speeds up when it gets to the chorus. I was really impressed with how much the class remembered and I was then able to teach them some more. However, we did have to go over the choreography that they learnt last week because we had a new person in the class. 
Once we had gone over the choreography and taught them some more, I ended the lesson with a cool down. 
From now until July, I will be teaching this dance class every week. We will be working towards a showcase at the start of the July where the class will perform a few routines on the main stage at the local theatre. I will spend time on a Friday night to choreograph for this class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment