Wednesday 23 May 2018

Unit 24 - Auditions for actors


Monday 14th May
Today I was working on refining my Shakespeare monologue which I will be performing tomorrow. These last minute changes will help me to enhance my performance tomorrow. 
To start the session, we carried out a comprehensive warmup which involved several different exercises such as the intercostal diaphragmatic breathing exercise and diction exercises. Once I was nice and warm, we were then able to work on my speech.
The first time that I went through the speech it was just for words, to ensure I had each section in order. I managed to remember the whole speech and therefore continued to work on the delivery of the speech.
There were a few places during the speech where I needed to address my intonation as I can get locked into a monotone especially in the passages where there are lists and not much punctuation. The part that starts ‘Or, if I live’ up until ‘spirits resort’ has always posed a challenge to me in terms of maintaining characterisation and engaging the observer through a varied delivery. When I unitised this speech, that particular section was difficult to separate because Juliet seems to be just listing all the negative things about the tomb. At times I feel I am really connecting with Juliet’s character, I understand her vulnerabilities and I can feel her fear and panic about the future. I can also get some way towards to understanding the thrill that she is feeling about her love for Romeo. Overall though, it is the combination of all these emotions coming together, coupled with her desperation that are still giving me an ongoing challenge.
A positive for me is always being able to pitch the start of the piece in a sensitive and thoughtful manner. I can feel her sadness at saying goodbye to Romeo and the insecurity that it creates in her. I have been working on facial expression, I know this is an area where I could improve. I don’t always convey emotion through my face and actually this is something that I have been working on in dance as well. Another area of movement is sitting down and standing up from a chair. Wearing the long skirt subtly changed the way I moved around the performance space and it helped when I was sitting down I was able to drop gently onto the seat and with both knees bent, able to rise quite elegantly.
Another refinement is clasping my hands to my chest on the line ‘I fear it is’. I feel Juliet is almost feeling for her heartbeat, checking that she is breathing. This really helped me to maintain the characterisation.
I think I am as ready as I will ever be to perform this monologue. I have had to invest more in order to realise Juliet’s character as the language has never come completely naturally to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment