Wednesday 27 December 2017

Unit 37 - Dance performance

Wednesday 22nd November
Unfortunately, Laura was not able to make it to the session today but we were given work to get on with whilst she was away.
To start off the session, I led Molly through a full body warmup to make sure that we weren’t going to hurt any of our muscles. I also included some new stretches in the warmup this week such as half body twists and American splits exercises. After the warmup we moved on to getting some work done.
The task that we had been set was to finish off our pieces which we have been creating over the past few weeks. My dance piece is to the song ‘Proud’ by JLS and is a contemporary style dance piece. Most of the dance is made up of the 8 spot improvisation exercise. As the piece moves on it tells a story of different memories which were on my memory board which I made during the half term holiday.
So far, I have got dance material up until the end of the first chorus. I then needed to add some choreographed material on the end to finish in a good place with the music. It took me a while to think of some moves which would fit with the choreography and the style of the piece. However, after a while of thinking and improvising some moves, I decided to take some moves which I have learnt in external dance classes and incorporate these into this dance piece. Therefore, after trying a few different moves, I decided to use some contemporary style swings and jumps in the choreography because once I tried these out facing the mirror, the looked nice and fitted well.
Although I hadn’t added much choreography onto the material that I already had, I felt like this left me in a good place in the music to end the piece. However, I still do have lots of time left on the track so if I want to add any more choreography, I can.
For the rest of the session I then just went over the piece to make sure that I could remember it. I then also worked on the timing because at the moment the moves are slightly off with the music and this just needed tightening up slightly. I also helped Molly run through her piece and gave her some ideas as to what she could add to finish off her dance piece.

Next week we will be able to show Laura what we have done and then she can give us some feedback. We should then be ready to perform these for the final time.

No comments:

Post a Comment