Sunday 11 February 2018

Unit 37 - Dance performance

Wednesday 31st January
Laura was unable to make it to the session today but we were given some work to get on with.
The first task which I was given was to help Molly find a song which we will work together to start and create a movement piece to. Molly will be playing the part of Knotgrass who is one of the fairies in the story. The movement piece will be her characters introduction. The piece of music that we needed, needed to be fairy like and needed to fit with the other tracks in the performance. After looking for a while, I found some tracks on YouTube which I thought would be suitable. Here are the 3 tracks which I found:
When I showed these to Molly, she said that she liked the first one the best so we therefore went upstairs to work with this piece of music.
I took Molly through a warmup before we started choreographing the movement piece to make sure that we weren’t going to injure ourselves whilst choreographing.
Although we didn’t have much time to choreograph, we did make a start. I kept in mind Molly’s character when choreographing so I made sure that the choreography was going to flow nicely. Next week we will be able to show this choreography to Laura and she will be able to give us some feedback on it.
Another task that I was given was to look for a song which I will be doing a tap number to. The tap piece will be a duet with me and my other dance teacher, Emily. For the tap dance we need a song that is happy and cheerful as it needs to represent friendship. I thought of a few songs which may work which are:
·     Wonder – Emeli Sande
·     Perfect Strangers – Jonas Blue
·     Counting Stars – OneRepublic
·     Kill ‘Em With Kindness – Selena Gomez
·     Bibia Be Ye Ye – Ed Sheeran
·     Hey, Soul Sister – Train
When selecting these songs, I didn’t have to only take into consideration the meaning of the song, but also if we will be able to do a tap dance to the tempo of the song and also the lyrics of the song.

When I spoke to Laura later on in the day, she had found a song that she quite liked and thought would work well. The song is called ‘Cups’ and is by Anna Kendrick. This is the song that we are going to go with but if we find a song that we like better, then we can always change the song. I will start choreographing this dance with Emily tomorrow night after my contemporary dance class. This means that it gives us plenty of time to choreograph and rehearse the number to make sure that it is the best that it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment